Apollo Mechanical Contractors has an immediate opening for a Safety Specialist based out of Kennewick, WA. This position will cover projects around eastern Washington and Spokane. Travel will be required. This position will coordinate and administer Site Safety Programs for compliance with federal, state, local and company safety and occupational health standards and procedures. This position will provide safety resource support for assigned operating units including training and permitting. The Safety Specialist must provide overall safety and health leadership to ensure all employees return ‘Home Healthy – Home Safe’ each shift.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead or participate in incident investigations and emergency response
- Conduct site inspections (track all corrective actions to closure)
- Perform job safety analysis
- Maintain jobsite specific documentation
- Carry out any additional assignments deemed appropriate by Health & Safety Manager
- Coach and Teach safety across the region
- Conduct safety training
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong computer knowledge and skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong tracking and follow up skills
- Strong ability to communicate both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrate knowledge of risk, liability, and safety management
Education and Experience
- A college degree (Associates, Bachelor, Masters) in Occupational Safety and Health or other related fields of study in Occupational Health, Environmental or Safety Sciences (e.g. Industrial Hygiene, Fire Protection, Environmental Protection). Previous experience (6 months minimum) in safety, health, environmental or emergency response area is also required; or
- Professional certification as an Occupational Health Safety Technologist (OHST), Construction Safety Health Technologist (CHST), from the Council on Certification of Health, Environmental, and Safety Technologists (CCHEST) or Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) from Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BSCP). Previous experience in safety, health, environmental, or emergency response (6 months minimum) is also required; or
- Five (5) years of work experience in the construction environment where 100% of the position’s day-to-day job functions entailed safety, health, or environmental protection.
- A Certificate of Completion from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration Outreach Training Program for either of the following courses preferred:
- OSHA 500 Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry.
- OSHA 501 Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry.
All employees are subject to a pre-employment drug screen.
Equal Opportunity Employer